Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Everything You Need to Know About Starting a Home Business



Are you wanting to start a home business but have more questions than answers? You are not alone! It's important to fully understand what starting a business is all about and what 'hidden' problems may arise if you don't carefully plan it all out.

Watkins Home Business


If you are on this site it's likely because you follow my blog, or maybe search engine results brought you here. I will use the example of my Watkins home business, but keep in mind, I am also the owner of Natural e GREEN, published author and I hold a business degree (so I do know what I'm talking about!)

No matter WHAT kind of business you want to start, there are many things to consider.

  • Time - How much time do you have to commit?
  • Money - Do you have money to invest?
  • Location - Storefront, home-based or online?
  • Reasons - WHY do you want to have your own business (hobby, more money, new job, challenge)
  • Support - Do you have support from family & friends?
  • Capable - Are you capable of being your own boss? It may sound like a no-brainer but seriously, can you motivate yourself and keep yourself organized?
Any business has ups and downs and new businesses especially have challenges! It's important to have support and be able to persevere when things get rough.Unless you know for sure you want a physical storefront brand-new business, I always recommend getting your feet wet with a pre-established business. We will use Watkins as the example since it's what I started with and am very familiar with!

Starting a Watkins Home Business


Watkins has been around since 1868 - seriously! Associates who join Watkins can sell anywhere in Canada and the USA. There are no territories, quotas or commitments. You only have to pay the annual membership fee of $39.95.

What makes Watkins such a great business to start in are a few strong features:
  • Less risk - Already established, pay for whatever you want to sell, minimal overhead
  • Good compensation plan - They have a good compensation plan, giving associates a base of 25% profit and up to 39.5% depending on volume sold
  • Established History & Customer base - Established and in business for over 140 years, customers know and trust the Watkins name! They've survived recessions and kept their business going in good and bad times
  • Support - Depending on who you join under, there is tons of coaching & support to help you out.
  • Big product line - Watkins started with herbal medicinals and now they have over 300 products ranging from medicine to bath and body and cooking spices! There is something for everyone and many items are 'need' items, not just 'want.'

 Learn More About the Watkins Business


I've been with Watkins since 2008 and now coach a team across Canada and the USA. I work with those on my team who want to build their business and help them reach their goals. Recently I updated my informational website to provide the most common FAQs and help people decide if a Watkins business is right for them.

I'm not one to blow smoke where it shouldn't go. I believe in being honest and upfront. Some people are not cut out to run their own business. Others think that a home-business is easy and they can 'get rich quick' - I can tell you that's unreasonable.

Watkins is a business, just like any other business. If you want to sign-up, sponsor a few hundred people and get rich overnight, this is NOT the business for you! Success takes work and patience. I believe in being honest because if you join Watkins thinking you will get rich overnight and not have to work at it, then you are wasting your time and you'll just quit eventually anyways. I've had team members who believed that and didn't want to listen. Needless to say, they didn't do very well and quit within a few months.

If you want to know more about the business and see what's involved I welcome you to visit my website. You can contact me anytime and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. My mission with this business is to help as many people as I can, turn their Watkins business into a successful one.

No comments: